- Geoff Tong is a Partner in Garcia Hernández Sawhney, LLP’s Los Angeles Area office. Mr. Tong leads the firm’s commercial litigation group. He has counseled and represented insurance companies, managed care health plans and employee benefit plans in connection with claims and “bad faith” litigation for over 25 years. He has extensive experience in federal and state courts, at both the trial and appellate levels.
- Geoff’s clients have ranged from industry leading Fortune 100 companies to emerging technology companies to public entities. His areas of practice include contract and business disputes, marketing and sales, unfair competition, compliance, first-party insurance “bad faith” disputes, coverage under life, disability, property, commercial, and automobile insurance policies, ERISA, and employee benefit plans.
- Among his successful client representation, Geoff counts the following: (i) joint powers agency and member school districts $17 million claim under the California Tort Claims Act; (ii) wrongful termination claim of a former bank president; (iii) shareholder derivative action against members of the board of directors of a bank; (iv) multiple “bad faith” litigation actions concerning multi-state and marketing insurance products, vesting of health insurance coverage, “vanishing” premiums claims under life insurance policies, withdrawal of products from state and group markets, claims concerning the application of self-inflicted injury and suicide exclusion under policies and other.
- Loyola Law School (J.D., 1988)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.A., 1985)
- Mr. Tong has authored numerous articles and papers, including presentations at the American Bar Association’s Life, Health and Disability Committee meetings, at the International Claims Association and at insurance industry conferences.
- Lambros v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., 111 Cal.App.4th 43 (2003).
- EPIS v. Fidelity and Guaranty Life Insurance Co., 156 F.Supp. 1116 (N.D. Cal. 2001).
- Simon v. Value Behavioral Health Inc., 955 F.Supp. 93 (C.D. Cal. 1997).
- Serrato v. John Hancock Life Insurance Co., 31 F.3d 882 (9th Cir. 1994).
- Geoff is a member and the treasurer of the Board of Directors of the South Bay F.O.R. Junior Sports Association, a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization, and a member of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers (Los Angeles).